LTISD's annual Fitsmart event takes place this year on February 23rd from 1:00 to 3:30 pm at the High School.
Here is all the info from LTISD:
From twisting and turning inside a life-size hamster ball to creating kid-friendly snacks, children and families alike will once again have an opportunity to experience a unique offering of health and fitness activities during the Lake Travis Independent School District’s 5th Annual FitSmart Expo. Hosted by the LTISD Food and Nutrition Services (FANS) department, the LTISD Healthy Lifestyles program, and the FANS Parent Advisory Committee, the free community event will be held from 1:00 to 3:30 p.m., Sunday, February 23 at the Lake Travis High School campus. A 5K and one-mile family fun run will precede the expo at noon.
“The FitSmart Expo will highlight the programs within the District that promote health education, nutrition, fitness, and healthy lifestyles,” said Traci Miller, LTISD FANS Director. “We had an incredible outpouring of community support at last year’s event, and we’re very excited to do it all over again. Additionally, Marathon Kids has graciously agreed to credit one mile at this event for their annual campaign should a student not be able to attend the finale in downtown Austin. Marathon Kids medals will be available while supplies last. We will also continue to make available our anti-bullying awareness station to be hosted by our school counselors. Last year’s Hamster Ball ‘speed pass’ will continue to move that attraction along at a healthy pace.”
Spread across the Café, Cavalier Activity Center and varsity football field on the LTHS campus, the expo will feature other popular attractions including:
- A family obstacle course
- A variety of interactive sports training stations conducted by LTHS athletic coaches and teams
- An interactive display about growing healthy food entitled, ‘How Does a Garden Grow?’
- A drug and alcohol awareness presentations by the LTISD Health and Social Programs
- A mobile blood donation station hosted by the Blood Bank of Austin
- Various health education activities hosted by LTISD school nurses
- A create-a-snack table for kids entitled, ‘Healthy Snack Creation Station’
- Samples of tasty and healthy fare offered in all LTISD schools entitled, ‘What’s for Lunch?’
- A display of education materials and related activities entitled, ‘The Nutrition Corner’
- A live demonstration of elements from the LTISD ROPES Challenge Course
- The American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life station, presented by the LTHS Interact Club
- The Ga-Ga Pit, an international game similar to dodge ball
- The 2014 FitSmart Expo is presented by the Lakeway Regional Medical Center in partnership with Be Healthy Lake Travis and Nitro Swimming.